Search This Blog

Pages

Saturday, April 10, 2010

Sweet Souffled Ricotta Cakes

I made these delicious little pancakes for Easter brunch with my sweetie. They don't have any sugar in them, so they are only sweet if you put jam or syrup on them at the end. You could take these in a savory direction as well. They are made with ricotta cheese which makes them substantial, but then the folded in egg whites makes them like little clouds. So yummy. I wish I hadn't made so many other things for Easter brunch so I could have eaten more of these. Next time we'll try them for dinner. These are excellent with champagne punch.

Here's how to make them.

Melt 3 T. butter in a skillet. Turn off heat when melted. Beat 1 cup ricotta with 3 egg yolks until smooth, then stir in 1/2 cup milk and the melted butter. Then stir in 1/2 cup flour and 1/4 t. salt. Stir to make a smooth batter. Stir in 1 t. vanilla extract and a little nutmeg.

Whisk the 3 egg whites until they hold firm peaks. Fold them into the batter.

Reheat the skillet that you melted the butter in. Drop 1/4 cup dollops in the pan. Cook over medium heat until golden on the bottom. Turn and cook the other side. Don't pat them down because you want them to stay light and fluffy. Serve with jam, preserves, maple syrup, sour cream, or applesauce.

Things I'd do differently next time: They were really difficult to turn when making several small ones in the same pan. I think I'd make them regular pancake size next time. I made the batter in my stand mixer, which made it super easy. I also whipped the egg whites in there - no effort at all. Yay for the stand mixer. I love it.

Approximate cost to prepare:
1 cup ricotta - $3.50 (the good stuff)
3 eggs - $1.20
1/2 cup milk - $.25 (organic)
3 T. butter - $.30 (regular, organic is about double that)
1/2 c. flour, salt, 1 t. vanilla, dash nutmeg - negligible
TOTAL cost for 4 people - $5.25

No comments:

Post a Comment