Search This Blog

Pages

Saturday, January 16, 2010

Leftovers

Here's how the leftovers worked out for the Black-eyed peas and greens, and the Shredded Root Vegetables under a Wild Rice Pancake.

I froze the peas and greens, and the bulgur separately. This was good. I didn't give them enough time to thaw on their own, so I thawed them in the microwave. They came out a little mushy when cooked. I also forgot to taste before serving. They were a little bland. They needed to be "woken up" with a splash of vinegar while cooking. Otherwise, very tasty and a healthy, easy night's meal.

I had baked the shredded root vegetables with the wild rice pancake on top, and then put the finished dish in the refrigerator. I heated it up in the oven. The pancake was too crunchy. If I were doing it again, I would refrigerate the vegetables and the pancake batter separately. When I was ready to make my supper, I would just pour the batter over the veggies and bake. I think this would work out better.

Both dishes were absolutely worth having in the fridge. One of the great things about this project so far is that we eat homemade food almost every night of the week, partly because of the leftovers. This must be a good thing.

2 comments:

  1. It is indeed a good thing! Homemade food is phenomenal! I made a meal from Julia Child's cookbook a few nights ago -- spinach quiche and potato leek soup. Two really easy dishes, and super yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have leftover leeks in the fridge from a previous recipe. I have been thinking about making a leek and potato soup. Deborah Madison has a recipe in "Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone." We should compare recipes.

    ReplyDelete