Search This Blog

Pages

Monday, January 11, 2010

Let's get cooking

Having been inspired by Julie & Julia, I decided to cook my way through a vegetarian cookbook during 2010. My project is much less ambitious than the one undertaken by Julie, but I'm hoping it will help me cook homemade, healthy meals at least twice a week, all year long.

I've had lots of friends ask me what a vegetarian eats for dinner. They understand vegetarian side dishes but are perplexed about how to put together a vegetarian meal. I've been a vegetarian for 15 years and I must admit that I have relied too heavily on ready-made dishes from Trader Joe's and elsewhere.

My absolute favorite cookbook author is Deborah Madison, author of "Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone", "Vegetarian Suppers", and numerous other cookbooks. I would love to make my way all the way through Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone, but that is over 1,000 recipes - far too ambitious for a single year. I have selected "Vegetarian Suppers" to cook from instead - only about 100 recipes, but they are all intended to be the center of a vegetarian meal, with perhaps a side dish or a salad to compliment the main dish. She also gives wine pairing suggestions, which I intend to try when possible.

My project officially began on January 1st, but my first meal was made on January 5th. I really don't know what will be included in each blog post, but I hope you will find this endeavor entertaining and informative. I welcome feedback.

Here's to happy, healthy meals in your own kitchen!

1 comment:

  1. Yay! I'm so proud of you for starting this project! :D I'll definitely be following you!

    ReplyDelete