Search This Blog

Pages

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Cabbage & Leek Gratin with Mustard Cream

February 20, 2010

Although it appears I haven't been cooking from the "Vegetarian Suppers" cookbook, I actually have been, I'm just behind in my blogging.

This evening I made a recipe that I would never choose if it was on the menu at a restaurant, but after having made it, I am absolutely in love with this dish. It is wonderfully delicious, and easy to make. The prep time for the gratin was only about 20 minutes, plus about another 10 minutes for the mustard cream. You have to save some time for cooking in the oven, however. This would be a fantastic dish to take to a potluck, with a little sign for the mustard cream.

This dish begins by buttering a gratin dish, starting the oven (at 350), and putting a big pot of water on to boil. Then you cut up 1 1/2 pounds of cabbage. I used Napa cabbage (and Deborah recommended using savoy cabbage) which made the gratin turn out juicy and tender. I don't think regular cabbage would taste as good, but it might. You also cut up 3 leeks, just the white part and a little of the green. When the water boils, put in some salt and the cabbage and leeks for 5 minutes. Drain it in a colander and gently press out as much water as you can.

While the veggies are boiling, combine 1 cup milk, 1/3 cup sour cream, 3 eggs, 1/3 cup flour, and 3 T. dill. I used about twice that much fresh dill and it was super yummy. Put the veggies in with the egg mixture, season with salt, and pour into the gratin dish. Bake for 45 minutes.

For the mustard cream, finely dice a small shallot and put in 1 T. vinegar. The recipe calls for white wine, but I used sherry vinegar. Add a pinch of salt and let it sit for 5 minutes while you measure out 2/3 c. sour cream, and 1 T. mustard (any kind you like). Whisk that in and then taste for balance. I added a smidge of horseradish to give it a little kick.

Speaking of mustard, I used homemade mustard given to me by my friend, Carla. It is a sweet and hot mustard which I absolutely adore. She is going to give me the recipe and if it's ok with her, I will post it here. I've been caught eating it with a spoon straight out of the jar. It is absolutely FABulous!

Things I would do differently next time: Nothing

Approximate cost to prepare:
Napa cabbage - $1.75
3 leeks - $6.00 (organic)
1 cup milk - $.40
1/3 c. sour cream (org.) - .50
3 eggs - $1.25 (I buy fresh eggs from my local farm for $5.00 per dozen.)
dill - $.65
2/3 c. sour cream (org.) - $1.00
1 sm. shallot - $.25
flour, mustard, vinegar - negligible
TOTAL - $11.80 for 6 servings (the recipe says only 4 servings, but I think it's more like 6)

I served this with an apple, pecan, and spring mix salad with poppy seed dressing. Deborah recommends home cooked cannellini beans or braised carrots to go with this. The recommended wine is a pinot blanc from Alsace. I have given up alcohol for lent, so I'll have to try that next time around.

Buon appetito!

No comments:

Post a Comment