Search This Blog

Pages

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Mashed Potatoes with sauteed onions and greens


This is a great comfort food sort of a dish. It's easy to prepare and came in at under half an hour prep time, which is nice. I purposely left out "turnips" in the title because I thought I didn't like turnips, but it turns out that they blend very nicely into this dish and they were quite tasty. Deborah Madison says that this can also be a summer dish, especially when farmers markets have sweet little turnips with their greens. The dish uses the turnip greens, but I made it with chard since the turnips I bought didn't have the greens attached. She recommended broccoli rabe in place of the turnip greens, but I couldn't find those either. I think most any greens will do.

Here's how to get started

Peel 4 russet potatoes (about 2 pounds) and cut them into chunks. Peel 3/4 pound turnips (8 to 10 small ones or a few larger ones.) Put them in a pot, cover with cold water, add 2 t. salt and 1 thyme sprig. Bring to a boil and cook uncovered for 20 - 25 minutes.

While those are cooking, slice 2 onions and saute them in 1 T. butter plus 2 t. olive oil (or whatever combination you like.) Cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until golden and tender - about 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

While that is cooking, wash and trim the greens. Cook in boiling salted water until tender, about 8 minutes. Drain and add the greens to the pan with the onions.

When the potatoes and turnips are done, scoop them out of the pot into a bowl. Mix in 3 ounces of goat cheese and some butter to taste (I used 2 T.). Add salt and pepper to taste.

To serve, mound the mashed veggies on a platter, and smother it with the onions and greens.

Cost to Prepare
2 pounds potatoes - $1.00
3/4 pound turnips - $2.00
3 oz. goat cheese - $4.50
2 onions - $1.50
turnip greens - free if you buy them attached to the turnips OR
chard or other greens - $2.50
salt, pepper, butter, oil, 1 thyme sprig - negligible
TOTAL for 4 people - $11.50

I actually didn't use all the goat cheese, so that made the dish less expensive.

2 comments:

  1. Lois -

    I just love what you are doing for here! I am also a member of Singing Frog's Farm CSA, and your recipes are very helpful to my family.

    I listed your website as a resource to all local Sonoma County families (see Hearth and Home blogrool) on my family website www.Sono-Ma.com.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holly! How great to hear from you. So glad this is helpful. Makes me more motivated to keep up the posts. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete