Search This Blog

Pages

Monday, March 7, 2011

Winter Squash Green Curry


Oh my goodness, this is good. I only recently learned that the term "curry" just means a combination of spices. This combination of herbs and spices is all fresh (well, nearly) - no curry powder, no pre-prepared curry paste - you make your own. This is SOOO tasty and so worth the effort. I will absolutely be making this again. The recipe says it serves four, but my husband and I had it 3 times with some still left in the freezer. This makes it economical in addition to being super tasty.

This dish features, mushrooms, eggplant, tofu (though you could substitute chicken or some other form of meat), and of course, butternut squash. I used those long, skinny Asian eggplant for this dish. I found them at my local Asian market. They sometimes come in my CSA box, too. I'm sure any eggplant will do. I must admit that I am only beginning to get comfortable with eggplant, but it blended perfectly into this dish and I didn't even really know it was there. The real star of this dish is the homemade curry paste and the coconut milk. YUM!

Let's Get Started

Before you make your own super-fresh curry paste, you should start some rice cooking and prep your veggies. (I put a few slices of ginger into my rice, which turned out very nicely.)

Pour 1 and 1/2 cups boiling water over 8 dried shiitake mushrooms. (Dried shiitakes were ridiculously expensive, so I bought fresh since they happened to be there. I paid only $1.32 for 10 shiitakes. Since the recipe called for the soaking liquid later on, I decided to clean the mushrooms and then pour hot water over them to have some broth to use later in the recipe. It worked.) Quarter 2 long skinny eggplants (6 oz. each) and cut them into 1/2 inch dice. Sprinkle with salt and set them in a colander to drain. Peel 1 small butternut squash (1 1/4 pounds or so), scoop out and discard the seeds and inner pulp, and cut it into 3/4 inch chunks.

While the mushrooms are soaking and the eggplant is expelling water, you can get started on the curry paste. (I actually made this several hours in advance of preparing the rest of the meal, though it didn't actually take that long, especially with a food processor.) Just put all the following ingredients in a food processor and pulse until you have a smooth paste. Add extra lime juice or water to loosen up the mixture if necessary:
  • 3 or 4 large garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
  • 1 -2 inch knob of ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped
  • 3 stalks lemon grass, just the tender centers
  • 3-4 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
  • 2 shallots (1/3 cup), chopped
  • 1/2 cup chopped cilantro (it's fine to include the stems in this)
  • 1/2 t. pepper
  • 1 t. ground cumin
  • 2 t. ground coriander
  • 1 t. salt
  • zest and juice of one lime (Limes were really expensive and I had lemons on my tree, so I used those instead)
Once you have the curry paste prepared and waiting in the wings, remove the mushrooms from their soaking water, squeeze them out, and save the soaking water. Cut them into wide strips, discarding any tough stems. Rinse the eggplant and blot it dry.

Heat 1 T. oil (I used olive oil, but the recipe calls for peanut oil) in a wide skillet. Add the eggplant and turn it quickly in the oil to coat all pieces. Cook over medium-high heat just to brown the cut surface, 4 to 5 minutes. Open one can of coconut milk and have it standing by.

In a large dutch oven (big pot), heat 2 T. oil. Add the squash and cook over medium-high heat, turning every so often, until caramelized in places. After several minutes, add the eggplant, reduce the heat to medium. Pour in one can coconut milk, the mushroom soaking water, the mushrooms, and 2/3 of the curry paste. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until the squash is tender, by which time the sauce will have lost its color.

While that is cooking, drain one block of tofu and cut it into 1-inch cubes. Juice one lime and have 6-8 thai basil leaves standing by.

After the 15 minutes are up, add the tofu and basil leaves, then simmer until the tofu is heated through (about 5 minutes). Stir in the lime juice. Taste for salt. Just before serving, stir in the remaining curry paste and garnish with basil sprigs.

Serve over rice. Enjoy the poppin' fresh goodness of all the yummy green things in this curry!

Deborah recommends a spicy, dry Gewurztraminer to go with this dish. I say drink whatever wine you have in your wine rack.

Approximate cost to prepare
Curry paste
3-4 large garlic cloves - $.50
1 heaping T. chopped ginger - $.50
3 stalks lemon grass - $.75
3-4 jalapeno peppers - $1.00
2 shallots - $.50
1/2 c. cilantro (including stems) - $.25
zest and juice of 1 lime - $.50
salt, pepper, cumin, coriander - negligible

The rest of the stuff
2 small oblong eggplants - $2.00
8 dried shiitake mushrooms ($5.00 or so. I only paid $1.32 for fresh ones)
1 small butternut squash (came from my garden, but I'm guessing $2.00)
1 can coconut milk $1.30
1 block firm tofu - $1.50
6 thai basil leaves - $.25
another lime - $.50
olive or peanut oil - negligible
1 cup rice - $.50

TOTAL - $13.15 for 6 servings or so. You don't really need a side dish with this meal. It freezes well.

1 comment:

  1. I found a package of 14 dried shiitake mushrooms for $1.89 at my local Asian market. Much cheaper than at the grocery store!

    ReplyDelete