Search This Blog

Pages

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Eggs Over Smoky Potatoes

Easy, fast, and highly seasoned, this one is good for a weeknight. I think it would be excellent for brunch as well. To make this you have to invest in some pimenton (Spanish smoked paprika), but it's worth it because it is great in so many things. I got a small tin of it for about $5.00 at Sur La Table, but I think you can find it for less elsewhere. I've seen it at Andy's Market.

To get started, cut up a couple pounds of potatoes into bite sized chunks. I peeled a big russet and left the skin on 3 smallish red potatoes. Any kind of potatoes will do. Heat 2 T. olive oil over medium heat. Fry the potatoes for 15 minutes or so. Turn them every once in awhile so they brown on all sides.

While they're cooking, mince 1 garlic clove and slice 3-4 scallions. You can also make a salad or whatever else you'll be eating with this dish. When the potatoes are tender, stir in some salt and 1/2 to 1 t. pimenton. I used a half teaspoon and I think I'll use more next time. Also stir in the garlic and scallions, for 30 seconds or so.

Break 3 or 4 eggs over the top of the potatoes, turn down the heat to medium-low, and cover. Cook for 5 minutes until the whites are set. If you want the yolks to set, too, then cook it longer. Instead of cooking the eggs over the potatoes on the stove, you can transfer the potatoes to a terra-cotta dish (which I don't have), break the eggs over them and bake them in a 375 degree oven (15-20 minutes).

Garnish with parsley and serve. I like it with the yolks running in to the potatoes. A nice crusty bread from your local bakery would be lovely with this.

Things I'd do differently next time: Get brave and use a whole teaspoon of pimenton.

Cost to prepare:
2 pounds potatoes - $2.00 (80 cents if you don't use organic)
green onions - $.30
4 eggs - $1.60 (less if you use conventional eggs, mine come from the farm
salt, garlic, pimenton, parsley - $.30
TOTAL - $4.20 for 2 people. We had leftovers, too.

Deborah Madison recommends a Spanish wine to go with the spanish paprika.

2 comments:

  1. Have I told you lately that you are awesome? Please keep this up, I am totally loving it. I love the cost breakdown too, it makes it so easy to see how much I should expect to spend when I got out and get the ingredients for one of these dishes. Some of the stuff is a little special and hard to find here in the land of plastic surgery and hermetically sealed cheese, but I do my best. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you do know where you can come by exotic ingredients, right? Mom will always send them.

    ReplyDelete