Search This Blog

Pages

Monday, March 29, 2010

Tofu and Sugar Snap Peas in Lemon Grass Broth

My friend, Pat and I made this dish on the same night that we had the lemony croquettes. This was our starter. I've been thinking about this dish ever since we made it. It was so flavorful and light and delicious -- I've been craving it ever since. It was pretty to look at, heavenly to smell, and scrumptious to eat. We all wished there had been more of it. Next time I make it, I will definitely double or triple the recipe.

Start by making the broth. For those of you that have never used fresh lemon grass, you want to use the inner tender part of the stalk. Take off any tough outer leaves. Cut off the bottom of the stalk and look at it. There are rings of white on the inside. You want to use the inner tender part of those rings.

Combine 3 T. chopped lemon grass, 2 slices fresh ginger, the grated zest of 1 lime, 2 cilantro sprigs, and a good sized pinch of salt in a sauce pan. Cover with one and a half cups of water. Bring to a boil, then simmer uncovered for 15 minutes until reduced to 3/4 cup. Strain out the solids, reserving the liquid. Add 1 T. soy sauce and 1 T. brown sugar or maple syrup. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed.

While the broth is simmering, drain 1 package soft tofu and cut into cubes. (I used firm tofu and it tasted great.) Thinly slice 2 garlic cloves, 1/4 red onion, and 2 scallions. Finely dice 1/2 jalapeno chile. Heat a medium skillet, add 1 t. peanut oil, and fry the garlic, scallions, onion, and chile. Stir fry for 30 seconds, then add 1 handful of sugar snap peas or edamame or asparagus tips. Also add 1/2 teaspoon turmeric and the tofu. Pour in the broth and simmer until the peas are bright green and the tofu is hot - a couple of minutes. Taste for salt. Garnish with cilantro leaves and serve with lime wedges.

That's how I made it and it was fabulous. You're supposed to also add 1 cup sticky rice or dry somen noodles.

Things I'd do differently next time: I would definitely add some sort of Asian noodles. I would also check the package ahead of time, because I found out at the last minute that the bean thread noodles I had on hand needed to soak for 15 minutes, which would have been perfect if I'd started soaking them when I started the broth. I would also double or triple the broth recipe.

I just noticed that this recipe is only supposed to feed 2 or 3 people. I stretched it to feed 4, but we all could have eaten much more of this.

Approximate cost to prepare:
I don't have this right now, but I'll add it soon.


2 comments:

  1. mmmmmmmmmmmm that sounds DELICIOUS! I definitely want to try this out, but I'm not sure how prepared the Volpes are to attempt this flavor profile. I think I'll make the portion you suggested and take it for lunch a couple days in a row or something. Although I guess I can always TRY to feed them something like this... hahaha

    I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is bomb. I just made it and I'm eating it right now. I followed your suggestions -- I added somen nooodles and doubled the broth recipe. I could even do with adding more ginger to the broth, personally.

    LOVELY!

    ReplyDelete