Search This Blog

Pages

Friday, August 27, 2010

Zucchini Bread or How many things can you put zucchini in?

My garden keeps producing these giant zucchini that I just can't keep up with. I recently weighed one and it was 9 and a half pounds. I used the new grater attachment on my KitchenAid stand mixer and grated it into a little over 10 cups! There are 4 more like that waiting for me. Oh dear. And I only planted ONE zucchini plant.

So far I've made zucchini bread, zucchini relish, zucchini fritters, and I've snuck it into tomato sauce, soup, and stir fry. I bought canning jars and other canning supplies to try making zucchini pickles, but I haven't gotten to it yet.

Here's my recipe for zucchini bread. It has gotten rave reviews. I tried to put some in the freezer for winter, but my husband found it and it is almost gone. I guess I need to make some more!

Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread

    • 3 eggs
    • 1 cup vegetable oil
    • 2 1/4 cups white sugar
    • 1 T. vanilla extract
      • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 T. ground cinnamon
  • 2 cups grated zucchini
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
  • 1 cup chocolate chips

Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Set aside. Using a stand mixer or a hand mixer, combine the eggs and oil. Add the sugar and vanilla and beat until well combined. On low speed, add in the dry ingredients a little at a time. Stir in the zucchini, nuts, and chocolate chips by hand.

Pour the batter into 2 loaf pans that have been greased and floured. Bake at 325ยบ for 45-60 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool and remove from pan. Freezes well.

Does anyone out there have a recipe for zucchini bread that is lighter and more lemony? The cinnamon and chocolate all tastes like cold weather food. I'd love to make a more summery zucchini bread.

2 comments:

  1. I don't have a specific recipe for something summery, but I would suggest eliminating the chocolate, decreasing the cinnamon, and adding the zest of a lemon. You can also use applesauce instead of oil for a lighter, more fruity taste. Perhaps also decreasing the vanilla to 1/2 T and adding about 1 T of lemon juice. It sounds like you have room to fool around with it, given how much zucchini you have. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to try this. I still have grated zucchini in my freezer.

    ReplyDelete