Search This Blog

Pages

Friday, August 27, 2010

Zucchini Relish

I got this recipe from Cooks.com, but instead of canning it, I just made some as a refrigerator pickle, i.e., I cooked it, put it in a glass jar, and stuck it in the fridge. It is really delicious and we have been using it in place of sweet relish on hamburgers and hot dogs. It made one quart, which will probably last for quite a while.

I changed the recipe just a little. Instead of using green and red bell peppers, I used these very small sweet red peppers I've been getting from my CSA box. They have a little bit of a nutty flavor and they are just wonderful in everything.

If I make this again, I think I will try cooking it a little longer to see if the sauce will thicken more.


ZUCCHINI RELISH

2 cups chopped zucchini (about 3 medium)
1 cup chopped onion (about 1 medium)
1/2 cup chopped sweet green pepper (about 1 small)
1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper (about 1 small)
2 tablespoons salt
1 3/4 cups sugar
2 teaspoons celery seed
1 teaspoon mustard seed
1 cup cider vinegar

Combine zucchini, onion, green and red peppers; sprinkle with salt; cover with cold water. Let stand 2 hours. Drain; rinse and drain thoroughly.

Combine remaining ingredients in a large saucepot. Bring to a boil. Add vegetables; simmer 10 minutes. Pack hot relish into hot jars, leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Adjust two-piece caps.

Process 10 minutes in a boiling-water canner.

Makes about 4 half-pints.

No comments:

Post a Comment