Search This Blog

Pages

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Mezze Plates for a Mid-Summer Birthday Party

When I decided to do a dinner party for my daughter's 25th birthday, I wanted to spend time with the guests rather than in the kitchen, so I decided to do a whole meal of appetizers. This is one of the meals from "Vegetarian Suppers" and I decided to do it up big. You can scale down and just select a few if you're trying to use up leftovers and leave the oven off during the summer time, or you can dress it up and make it elegant. For the party, I opted for a combination of elegant and playful - fancy cocktails, flowers, party hats, play dough, temporary tattoos, and bubbles.


Here's the spread I provided for my guests (10 people total). Click on hyperlinks to go to the blog post for that item:

From the Garden
Cherry Tomatoes
Sliced, salted radishes
Pickled carrots
Roasted red peppers
Fennel slices
Green beans with herb vinaigrette

From the Pantry and the Fridge
Tamari Almonds
Humboldt Fog Blue Cheese
Bread from the local bakery
Tiny dill pickles

Make Ahead Salads & Other Recipes
Cool Rice & Cucumber Salad
Watermelon Mint Feta Salad
Feta & Ricotta Skillet Pie
Romesco Sauce (Went great with the bread, the feta and ricotta skillet pie, and the fried cheese - maybe other things, too)

Beverages & Dessert
Julie-O cocktail
Wine & beer
Birthday cake from a local bakery
Smores around the campfire late in the evening.

And here's the happy birthday girl!


1 comment: