Search This Blog

Pages

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Zucchini Skillet Cakes

I made these when the first zucchini showed up in our CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) box. Now I have zucchini coming fast and furious from the garden, so I'm trying them again. There's zucchini bread in the oven right now. I'll let you know how it turns out.

The first time I made these it was with cute little tiny zucchini, but this time I'm using one of the giant, monster zucchini from my garden. This worked really well and is a great way to use the big zucchini. The capers and pine nuts in these give them a nice tang, and the fresh herbs provide a clean, summery aroma. You can serve these with cherry tomatoes on top, or with ranch dressing. This time I used some of the mustard cream left from another recipe, and it was a perfect match. We ended up with 3 leftover cakes, so I'm going to try freezing some. I think they'll make excellent "veggie burgers". I'll let you know.

You start by grating 4 cups zucchini (about 2 pounds). Sprinkle it with 2 teaspoons salt and set it aside in a colander to drain while you get everything else ready.

Beat 2 eggs in a large bowl. Add in 3 T. snipped chives, 1 clove garlic (minced), 1/2 cup parsley, 3 T. chopped marjoram, and the grated zest of 1 lemon. Toast 1/2 cup pine nuts and set aside to cool. Rinse 1/4 cup capers and set aside to dry a little. Rinse the zucchini that you left draining in the colander, and squeeze out as much moisture as you can. Toss the zucchini with the egg mixture. Stir in 1 cup dried bread crumbs, the pine nuts, and the capers. Season with salt and pepper.

Film 2 large skillets with olive oil. When hot, fry a little dab of the mixture to see if the seasonings are right. Scoop 1/2 cup of the batter into the hot pan and fry on both sides until golden.

A rice pilaf or a quinoa dish would go well with this. Tonight we had it with Curried Couscous Salad and it was terrific.


No comments:

Post a Comment